Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>>Also, let's say I have apps now in 7.4/8.0, and I want them to be
>>forward-compatible. Should I make a type called E so that the E''
>>notation will work, and then use that for strings? What is the "right"
>>way to do it?
>
> To be standards-conforming, don't use any backslash escapes.  If you must use
> them, use the E'' notation.

That doesn't really answer the question, though, since none of
7.4/8.0/8.1 interprets '' strings in a strictly standards-conforming way
as I understand it.

The impression I got from previous discussion was that you need to check
the value of the standard_compliant_strings GUC, and double backslashes
inside '' only if it was false or missing.

-O