On Sep 6, 2005, at 2:16 PM, nathan wagner wrote:

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 03:57:55PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I agree with Josh on the UUID type, it gets abused far too often

Out of curiosity, how does it get abused?  It doesn't seem to me
that it would be any more prone to abuse than any other type.

and (IMHO) isn't widely enough used to belong in the core.

Seems like a self-fulfilling cycle.  There isn't one in core
or contrib (pguuid is not in contrib, IIRC), and so one doesn't
get used.  Since no one uses one, it's not in core or contrib.

Couldn't you just fix the
problem in pguuid rather than write a whole new type?

Not sure which you you're addressing here, but I can't fix the license
problem.  Nor can I readily fix the lack of a mac ioctl() to get
the hardware mac address.

It's not that hard to get a MAC address or serial number out of a Mac, the problem is I'm not going to bother writing that code for a GPL extension to PostgreSQL. There's a better way, anyhow. Darwin ships with UUID parse/generate/etc functions in its Libc (<uuid/ uuid.h>).

FWIW, that code (the Theodore Ts'o UUID implementation) looks to be suitably licensed for PostgreSQL, and it actually it appears that someone has already written a PostgreSQL UUID type using this it... which is unfortunately LGPL'ed (why?!).

-bob

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend