Well, it sorta did in that case, but I see where you're coming from.
What does have something to do with it is that iirc it was the rc.pgsql
script that ran initdb in the background at boot time when it didn't
find the data directory, so perhaps your statement would be more
accurate as:

"Automatically running initdb behind the scenes at system startup is a
proven dangerous practice"

We've distributed hundreds of thousands of copies of pgInstaller which
initdb's behind the scenes and never had any reported problems.

Regards, Dave

               http://archives.postgresql.org