Jim C. Nasby wrote:

But why force a re-write of the entire table just to change the name of
something?

Because you are not just changing the name of something.

No, I was refering specifically to the case of wanting to rename
something. IE: you setup an enum for sky colors (blue, black), and then
the PHB issues an edict that the daytime sky is now green. In this case
you (or at least I) don't want to define a new enum, I just want to
change 'blue' to 'green' in that enum. There's no reason it needs to hit
the table at all.

Well, with enumkit you can't, because the values are hardwired in the .so file. With a builtin facility you would be able to, because the values would live in the catalog. However, hacking the catalog is not something I would encourage - what you are suggesting basically breaks the abstraction. But sure, it would be possible. I would not provide an SQL level facility to do it, though. My approved way to do it would be like the example I gave earlier.

cheers

andrew

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend