> Uh, why is it a good idea to overload the "service" option like that?
> ISTM it'd be less confusing to use a separate option.  Further I
suggest
> that pg_service ought to be handled first, ie, it makes sense to me to
> be able to put both the LDAP name and the LDAP server address(es) into
> pg_service.conf entry.  The other way (LDAP pointing to
pg_service.conf)
> is clearly nonsensical, but that doesn't mean that they aren't useful
> together.

That idea is much better than my original one.

There could be a pg_service.conf entry like this:

[servicename]
ldap://server.domain/dn?filter?scope?attribute

or similar that retrieves a string to be used as connection options.

Would that satisfy everybody (if I use curl instead of openldap)?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq