The libpq driver copies results out of the PGresult struct into the
internal QueryResult classes. With libpq out of the loop, data can go
straight from the wire into the QR.

> but I'd certaintly like to know why people are
> reimplementing the protocol (psqlODBC is hardly the only one).

There are elements of the wire protocol that libpq doesn't actually
implement from what I recall. IIRC, they were added specifically for
JDBC but also intended to be used by psqlODBC as well. I forget the
details though as I wasn't so involved with the ODBC development back
then.

In addition of course, implementing the protocol natively does allow for
maximum flexibility.

Regards, Dave.