On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 09:11 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 02:58:11PM -0400, Mark Woodward wrote:
> >> The reality is that MySQL is widely supported by some very, shall we say,
> >> "interesting" open source projects and using these products with
> >> PostgreSQL would be a plus.
> >
> > The biggest headache I find with using postgres is that various GPL
> > licenced programs have trouble directly shipping postgresql support
> > because of our use of OpenSSL. Each and every one of those program
> > needs to add an exception to their licence for distributors to
> > distribute postgresql support.
>
> Why would that be the case... OpenSSL and PostgreSQL both are BSD
> licensed... Am I missing something?

OpenSSL is not the 3 clause BSD license, it also includes a number of
advertising clauses that the GPL has never liked -- GPL must not be
modified for derivatives but the advertising clauses are in addition to
the GPL, so it must be modified for the combination.

Exceptions exist in the GPL for libraries and tools included in the
operating system and this is enough in most cases. GPL applications on
Windows may have problems.

http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#LEGAL2
2. Can I use OpenSSL with GPL software?

On many systems including the major Linux and BSD distributions, yes
(the GPL does not place restrictions on using libraries that are part of
the normal operating system distribution).

On other systems, the situation is less clear. Some GPL software
copyright holders claim that you infringe on their rights if you use
OpenSSL with their software on operating systems that don't normally
include OpenSSL.

If you develop open source software that uses OpenSSL, you may find it
useful to choose an other license than the GPL, or state explicitly that
"This program is released under the GPL with the additional exemption
that compiling, linking, and/or using OpenSSL is allowed." If you are
using GPL software developed by others, you may want to ask the
copyright holder for permission to use their software with OpenSSL.

OpenSSL License
 *
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
 *    the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
 *    distribution.
 *
 * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
 *    software must display the following acknowledgment:
 *    "This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project
 *    for use in the OpenSSL Toolkit. (http://www.openssl.org/)"
 *
 * 4. The names "OpenSSL Toolkit" and "OpenSSL Project" must not be used
 *    endorse or promote products derived from this software without
 *    prior written permission. For written permission, please contact
 *    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 *
 * 5. Products derived from this software may not be called "OpenSSL"
 *    nor may "OpenSSL" appear in their names without prior written
 *    permission of the OpenSSL Project.
 *
 * 6. Redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain the following

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq