Mark Woodward wrote:
> OK, here's my problem, I have a nature study where we have about 10 video
> cameras taking 15 frames per second.
> For each frame we make a few transactions on a PostgreSQL database.

Maybe if you grouped multiple operations on bigger transactions, the I/O
savings could be enough to buy you the ability to vacuum once in a
while.  Or consider buffering somehow -- save the data elsewhere, and
have some sort of daemon to put it into the database.  This would allow
to cope with the I/O increase during vacuum.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend