On Jun 28, 2006, at 10:14 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
All the geometric types that I'll never use in core,
with few or no uses, including functions to operate on these types,
and no UUID type... Hehe... To me, that's irony... :-)

Interestingly, the superior geometry capability is driving a lot of recent migration from MySQL to PostgreSQL in my own experience, especially with PostGIS. The geometry parts may not get as much love as other parts, but they still get to leverage the very solid foundation they are built on top of. The geometry capability of MySQL is basically checklist in nature, as it lacks the more sophisticated indexing and query execution that is really required to get passable performance from queries with geometry in them. MySQL has similar geometry capability to PostgreSQL in theory if you don't look too closely, but in practice the engine is not up to the more rigorous demands of that kind of work.

With the nascent rise of the geospatial web, it is going to become a lot more important than it has been.

J. Andrew Rogers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

      match