That said I'm not sure how much I can do here. For a substantial index we
should expect most of the time will be spent in the tuplesort. It's hard to
see how to get any sort of progress indicator out of there and as long as we
can't it's hard to see the point of getting one during the heap scan or any of
the other i/o operations.

Well from a DBA perspective, just knowing that "something" productive is happening is useful.

When using vacuum I almost always use vacuum verbose, just so I have an idea of what is going on.

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster