I wrote:
> We could "fix" this by emitting the log message before calling
> finish_xact_command, but I think that would result in seriously
> underreporting the time required for a COMMIT.  Probably the right fix
> is to copy the data we might need out of the Portal before committing.

Patch applied.

This reminds me that even though the V3-protocol code has been in there
since 7.4, we don't have nearly complete test coverage on it.  It'd be a
good idea to have some basic tests included somewhere in the standard or
contrib regression tests.  Any thoughts about an easy way to do it?

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster