Peter Eisentraut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I agree with Martijn that putting these into libpq's API
>> seems like useless clutter.

> Where else to put it?  We need it in libpq anyway if we want this
> behavior in all client applications (by default).

Having the code in libpq doesn't necessarily mean exposing it to the
outside world.  I can't see a reason for these to be in the API at all.

Possibly we could avoid the duplication-of-source-code issue by putting
the code in libpgport, or someplace, whence both initdb and libpq could
get at it?

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq