Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Eisentraut) writes:
> > > sslinfo contrib module - information about current SSL certificate
> > > Author: Victor Wagner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > It was premature to add this: Bruce is still trying to get a copyright
> > assignment out of the author.
>
> I got it this morning.  The text they sent was:
>
> > > The copyright has to be removed so it can be copyrighted by the
> > > PostgreSQL Global Development Group.   Is that OK?  We can still keep
> > > your name and company at the top.
> >
> > Yes, it can be removed. I just wasn't aware that copyright transfer is
> > neccessary. Most open-source projects don't have such a requirement, and
> > individual portions of code are copyrighted by their respecitve authors.

I still don't understand why is the copyright "assignment" needed at
all.  Is it even valid, given that the PGDG does not have a written/
signed document?  At least the FSF requires you to given them a written
and signed statement to that effect.  And if it's not valid, why bother
doing it at all?

Also, the code is released under BSD license, so why is it important if
it says "Copyright Foo, Inc" or something else?  We will be able to use
it regardless of the copyright assignment, as will anyone else.

One point may be that if PGDG doesn't have a "Copyright" line in the
header, it can't then automatically increment the year in there when the
time comes.  Does this have anything to do with it?  It may also have to
do with when someone from PGDG fixes a bug in that code.