On Sun, 1 Oct 2006, Jeremy Drake wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Oct 2006, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
> > > I was just trying to build using the src/tools/msvc scripts
> > > on windows, and I was wondering if there were any
> > > instructions on how to do this, what prerequisites there are,
> > > where to get them, etc.  I couldn't find any, but I may not
> > > know the correct place to look.
> >
> > That's on my TODO list to write, but I haven't had the time yet. The
> > basic is that if you disable everything in the config.pl file, you can
> > run with almost no external dependencies. You'll need flex+bison if
> > buliding off CVS.
> > Oh, and it requires Visual C++ 2005. Should work fine with the Express
> > version.
>
> I grabbed flex and bison from GNUwin32
> (http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/bison.htm)

This appears to not work out well.  If I copy the generated files from
bison from a linux box, then they are ok, but if I try to use ones
generated using that version of bison, it does not compile.  I'll look
around for a different one.

> > If you need any specifics, feel free to ping me for it pending that
> > readme file.
>
> All right, I started off by commenting out almost all of the options in
> config.pl, and then ran build.bat from my "visual studio 2005 command
> prompt" (the express version).  It said that "Pthreads is required".
> Which pthreads implementation is this, and where can I get it?
>
> Also, which zlib build for windows is the correct one?  There are
> apparently many different ways to build it.

I grabbed the zlib dll from www.zlib.net, and pthreads from
ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/pthreads-win32/ and these seem to compile.

I ran into an issue where if I tried to compile using the batch file it
would fail with a bunch of errors about not finding windows.h, even when I
loaded the environment file from the platform sdk.  I had more success
opening the solution with the gui, but it is not entirely clear which
projects I may need to build in which order.  I got the postgres project
to compile, so I guess that's a start.

Do you have any idea how to get the environment to know where windows.h
is?  I even explicitly added the directory to the INCLUDE environment
variable, but it did not work.  I will try switching to short paths in
there in case it is an issue of paths with spaces.

--
Go 'way!  You're bothering me!