Mark,

On 10/4/06 1:43 PM, "Mark Woodward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/netflix$ time psql netflix -c "select count(*) from
> ratings"
>    count
> -----------
>  100480507
> (1 row)
>

> real    2m6.270s
> user    0m0.004s
> sys     0m0.005s

I think you are getting about 40MB/s on your sequential scan of about 5GB of
heap data in this case.  I calculate the size of the data as:

3 Integers (12 bytes), one text date field (10 bytes ?) and tuple overhead
(24 bytes) = 46 bytes per row

100 million rows x 46 bytes / row = 4.6 Gbytes

- Luke

       match