On Oct 9, 2006, at 7:21 AM, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 09:15:58AM -0500, jorge alberto wrote:
I want to know how can I add a new spatial access method into the postgresql (I'm doing research on spatial access methods( reading a lot of papers and programming a lot too ) but also I want to know how can I add my new data structure( if someday i get it, of course =) ) in the postgresql, I mean where can i find the .h that describes the interface that a spatial access
method, like the R-tree, must have in order to work with postgresql.

I would start by reading the documentation, specifically the part about
"GiST". Once you have understood the concept and code there, go to
reading the rtree code in the backend. That should answer almost all
your questions.

Index Access Methods (Ch. 48) for a more general interface may also be useful, since he implies that R-Tree is not the only spatial access method he is interested in. While some spatial access methods, such as R-Tree, are well-suited for a GiST implementation, it is not a particularly appropriate access method (assumption mismatch) for some other interesting spatial index types that a researcher might be interested in implementing.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers (who is also implementing new spatial indexes...)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq