Tom Lane wrote:

Yah, I checked.  Several times... but if anyone else wants to repeat
the experiment, please do.  Or look for bugs in either my test case
or Gurjeet's.

FWIW - FreeBSD and Linux results using Tom's test program on almost identical hardware[1]:

            Std crc     Slice-8 crc

Intel P-III 1.26Ghz (FreeBSD 6.2)

8192 bytes  12.975314   14.503810
1024 bytes  1.633557    1.852322
64 bytes    0.111580    0.206975

Intel P-III 1.26Ghz (Gentoo 2006.1)

8192 bytes  12.967997   28.363876
1024 bytes  1.632317    3.626230
64 bytes    0.111513    0.326557

Interesting that the slice-8 algorithm seems to work noticeably better on FreeBSD than Linux - but still not as well as the standard one (for these tests anyway)...

Cheers

Mark

[1] Both  boxes have identical mobos, memory and CPUs (same sspec nos).