2. I have a tsearch2 index which is 756MB in size in 8.1.2 but balloons to 910MB in 8.2!

FILLFACTOR?

Tom, Of course! I had it in my head that fillfactor had to be explicitely set. But then, after RTFM, it looks like there are defaults! Thank you!

One more inane question, though. The default fillfactors are currently #define'ed. Is there or will there be a way to set the default fillfactor, using a system table perhaps? I realize this is just a convenience, not integral to fillfactor functionality...

I sniffed around the docs and mailing lists but I could not find an answer.  My
apologies if this question has been answered already.

Richard Whidden

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq