Stephen Frost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Force references to go through macros which implement the lookup for the
> appropriate type?  ie: LOGICAL_COL(table_oid,2) vs.
> PHYSICAL_COL(table_oid,1)  Perhaps that's too simplistic.

It doesn't really address the question of how you know which one to
use at any particular line of code; or even more to the point, what
mechanism will warn you if you use the wrong one.

My gut feeling about this is that we could probably enforce such a
distinction if we were using C++, but while coding in C I have no
confidence in it.  (And no, that's not a vote to move to C++ ...)

                http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate