Douglas McNaught <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Bruce Momjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>>> It'd be nice if we could do the same for some Unix platofrms like
>>> Linux. The C library uses threads internally, and there's no actual
>>> downside to enabling thread safety there, except removing a few failure
>>> modes.
>>
>> I was not aware this was true on Linux.

> It uses threads at least for the POSIX AIO calls--I'm not sure what
> else.

I think the real point is that you get the same C library whether you
ask for thread safety or not, and it does internal locking to protect
itself against multi threads anyway.  So arguably there's no point in
building a thread-unsafe version of libpq.

But having said that, 99.99% of Linux use is based on pre-built RPMs,
and the RPM packagers all understand how to make this decision, so
it's really not our problem to fix.

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq