Markus Schiltknecht wrote:

Hi,

I recall having read something about rewriting the parser. Together with Tom being worried about parser performance and knowing GCC has switched to a hand written parser some time ago, I suspected bison to be slow. That's why I've asked.

This has little to do with performance and everything to do with the insanity which is C++:
http://gnu.teleglobe.net/software/gcc/gcc-3.4/changes.html

    * A hand-written recursive-descent C++ parser has replaced the
      YACC-derived C++ parser from previous GCC releases. The new
      parser contains much improved infrastructure needed for better
      parsing of C++ source codes, handling of extensions, and clean
      separation (where possible) between proper semantics analysis
      and parsing. The new parser fixes many bugs that were found in
      the old parser.

Short form: C++ is basically not LALR(1) parseable.

Brian