Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Michael,
>> I'm also curious about the rationale to maintain a separate timezone
>> data files for machines that supply them.

> It's because we found that we couldn't ensure consistency between operating
> systems while relying on OS files.

Partly that, and partly that we needed operations that the standard C
library doesn't supply.  Hence we had to have direct access to the
timezone database, and since different systems have different
representations of timezone data, we couldn't really rely on the
system's data.

You can try the symlink game if you want, but it'll be on your own head
whether it works or not.  (For the record, I am hoping to do exactly
that in future releases for Red Hat ... but in that context I know what
the system's timezone code is.  I'm less sure that I know what Apple
is using.)

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster