On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 01:13:58PM +0100, Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> I don't think to make a symlink is good solution. It generates a lot of
> future problem with package update or patching. Configure switch is much
> comfortable for packagers/patch makers.  In case when average user want
> to compile own postgres we can offer regression test focused on TZ
> validation. (By the way average user is surprise, that postgres has own
> zone files)

What is the actual problem being solved here? That people expected the
timezone changes to be picked up automatically?  think if you weigh it
up, that problem is less significant than:

1. You do a minor system upgrade and now postgres crashes because the
file format changed or the files moved.
2. You run a replication system and get different results on different
machine.

I think that from a data integrity point of view the current system is
the best. At the very least what you propose is a modularity violation:
Postgres depending on undocumented private data of another system
component.

Have a nice day,