Richard Huxton wrote:
Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
Florian G. Pflug wrote:

I think there should be a big, fat warning that self-referential
updates have highly non-obvious behaviour in read-committed mode,
and should be avoided.

It seems pretty difficult for PostgreSQL rule system to avoid such
 kind of updates. I'm suspicious if UPDATABLE VIEWS can be implemented
 using the rule system.

Remember this affects all self-referential joins on an UPDATE (and DELETE?) not just views. It's just that a rule is more likely to produce that type of query.

Is there consensus what the correct behaviour should be for
self-referential updates in read-committed mode? Does the SQL Spec
have anything to say about this?

greetings, Florian Pflug