Andrew Dunstan wrote:
What would making a branch actually do for you? The only advantage I can see is that it will give you a way of checkpointing your files. As I remarked upthread, I occasionally use RCS for that. But mostly I don't actually bother. I don't see how you can do it reasonably off a local cvs mirror - rsync will just blow away any changes you have checked in next time you sync with the master.

I don't think we can make CVS behave like a distributed SCM system, and ability to create local branches seems to me one of the fundamental points of such systems. If that's what the demand is for, then we should look again at moving to something like Mercurial.

I think the great thing about DCVS systems is that not everybody
necessarily needs to use the *same* system. And it doesn't really
matter what the central repository runs on - I think they are
gateway from/to nearly everything available...

I currently use GIT for my SoC project, and it works quite well -
I can create an abitrary number of local branches, and syncing
the currently active branch with CVS is archived by just doing
"cg-update pgsql-head".

greetings, Florian Pflug

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate