Tom Lane wrote:
> Shachar Shemesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> I'll reiterate - the problem is not that PG is exporting the internal
>> ARM FP format. The problem is that the server is exporting the internal
>> ARM FP format when the server is ARM, and the IEEE format when the
>> server is Intel. It's not the format, it's the inconsistency.
>>

> This is not a bug, it's intentional.  While IEEE-spec floats are
> reasonably interchangeable these days (modulo the endianness issue),
> other FP formats tend to have different ranges, special cases, etc.
> If we try to force them to IEEE spec we may have problems with overflow,
> loss of precision, who knows what.

Yes, but if we do not then we have a data interchange library that is
useless for data interchange. I think overflow and precision loss is
preferable.

Please remember that I'm only trying to help Postgresql here. I have a
spec to work with on the outside. I'm more than willing to do what's
necessary (see the STRRRANGE date conversion code) in order to adapt
whatever PG throws my way to the no less strange representation expected
of me. That's what I do as a driver hacker.

Sometimes, the specs don't help me. Windows' notion of "timezone free
timestamps" is nothing short of a disgrace, and some of the hacks that
are needed around that issues are, well, hacks. I don't come complaining
here, because this has nothing to do with PG. It's bad design on the
other end of the two ends that a driver has to make meet.

But sometimes, like now, PG puts me in an impossible position. You are
essentially telling me "you will get the numbers in an unknown format,
you will not have any way of knowing whether you got them in a strange
format or not, nor will you have any docs on what that format is going
to be". That is no way to treat your driver developers.

>> Like I said elsewhere, I'm willing to write a patch to "pq_sendfloat8"
>> (and probably "pq_getmsgfloat8" too) to make sure it does the conversion
>> on ARM platforms. Hell, I think I can even write it portable enough so
>> that it will work on all non-IEEE platforms
>>

> Really?  Will it be faster
Absolutely. Do you honestly believe that turning a 64bit binary number
into a 40 something byte decimal number will be quicker than turning a
64 bit binary number into another 64 bit number? For one thing, I really
doubt that my technique will require division, modulo or, in fact, any
math operations at all. It will likely be done with a few bit shifting
and that's it.

I also find it strange, though, that you berate me for using binary
rather than text format, and then complain about speed. That's what
makes OLE DB faster than ODBC - binary interface.
>  and more reliable than conversion to text?

Well, depends on how you define "more reliable". If you define it to
mean "exactly represents what happens in the server internals", then the
answer is "no". If you define it to mean "make more sense to the client,
and have better chances of producing results that more closely
approximate the right number than the current code", then the answer is
a definite yes.
> (In this context "reliable" means "can reproduce the original datum
> exactly when transmitted back".)

Who cares? If you are using the same function for binary communication
inside the server and for communications to the clients (or, for that
matter, another server), then there is something wrong in your design.
What are the "send" functions used for, beside server to client
communication, anyways? You are asking me to treat the binary data as an
opaque. Well, I'll counter with a question - what good is that to me?

Please note that the current code is useless for communicating binary
data between two servers, even if they are guaranteed to be of the same
version! How much less reliable can you get?

Please, give your own interface designers something to work with. Your
attitude essentially leaves me out in the cold.
>                       regards, tom lane

Shachar

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster