--On Montag, Juni 04, 2007 15:34:14 -0400 Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The reason I'm thinking per-transaction is that we could tie this to
setting up a cached list of tablespace OIDs, which would avoid the
overhead of repeat parsing and tablespace validity checking.  We had
rejected using a long-lived cache because of the problem of tablespaces
getting dropped, but I think one that lasts only across a transaction
would be OK.

Hmm i tried an allocated oid list in TopMemoryContext per backend, but i didn't find any issue with that... What's the reason we cannot work with a long-living cache during backend lifetime?

Dropping a tablespace caused get_tablespace_name() to return an InvalidOid and the tablespace selection code to switch to $PGDATA/pgsql_tmp...

--
 Thanks

                   Bernd

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend