Hi Simon,
Sorry for replying so late...
On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Simon Riggs wrote:

> Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:16:35 +0100
> From: Simon Riggs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: pgsql-hackers list <pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org>
> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] little PITR annoyance
> Hi Olivier,
> On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 11:41 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > The problem is not with gzip or scp, it is that postmaster refuses to
> > start because wal FS is full.
> > My questions was: why don't we start the archiving *BEFORE* postmaster to
> > make room.
> The archiver is executed from the postmaster, so thats not possible.
I'm aware of that, my point is maybe the archiver doesn't need postmaster
to be fully operational  (responding to db requests) to be started
> We could investigate where best to put some code, but it wouldn't be
> executed very frequently.
I agree, OTOH, the more PITR is used on big busy db to more this may
> Why not just execute the archive_command in a script, replacing
> the .ready with .done files in archive_status directory when its
> processed?
Sure, but if *I* can do it, why can't the system?

What do you think,
Best regards,
Olivier PRENANT                 Tel: +33-5-61-50-97-00 (Work)
15, Chemin des Monges                +33-5-61-50-97-01 (Fax)
31190 AUTERIVE                       +33-6-07-63-80-64 (GSM)
FRANCE                          Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Make your life a dream, make your dream a reality. (St Exupery)