Zdenek Kotala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I'm little bit confused when we introduce new page layout version? I
> expect that new version become with changes with pageheader, tuple
> header or data encoding (varlen/TOAST ...). But in case when there is
> new data type internal implementation, there was not reason to update
> version (see inet/cidr between 8.1 -> 8.2). Can me somebody clarify this?

Well, we've changed it when there was a benefit to an existing tool to
do so.  So far that's meant page header and tuple header changes.  If
we ever had a working in-place upgrade solution, I think we'd be willing
to make the page version account for datatype format changes too.

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster