Alvaro Herrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> At least on my machine there doesn't seem to be a defined way to
>> generate SIGTERM from the terminal; so I can see where if someone hasn't
>> read the postgres man page carefully, their first instinct upon finding
>> that control-C doesn't get them out of single-user mode might be to type
>> control-\ (or whatever the local QUIT character is).  It doesn't seem
>> like it should be quite that easy to force a panic stop.

> That seems reasonable, but I know an awful lot of people that don't know
> how to generate SIGQUIT at all (I only learned about it about a year
> ago, I think).  In fact anyone who doesn't already know that Ctrl-D
> closes the session is not very likely to know about Ctrl-\.

Sure, but those who do know how to SIGQUIT might reach for that before
they reach for control-D.  There's hardly anyone out there who could
be called an experienced user of the standalone mode, I think, and so
we shouldn't assume that users always know control-D is the way out.

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq