On Sun, 2007-07-22 at 17:54 +0200, Florian G. Pflug wrote:

> 1) It seems that the btree code sends out relcache
>     invalidation msgs during normal operation
>     (No DDL statements are executed). This lets any
>     simple flush-all-caches-if-ddl-was-execute scheme
>     fail.

Cache invalidation is uniquely associated with these WAL record types:

XLOG_BTREE_NEWROOT
XLOG_BTREE_INSERT_META
XLOG_BTREE_DELETE_PAGE_META

None of those things happen with any real frequency in most use cases.
We don't increase or reduce the number of levels of an index very
frequently.

--
  Simon Riggs
  EnterpriseDB  http://www.enterprisedb.com