On Jul 22, 2007, at 8:54 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
Tom,
Note to all: we ***HAVE TO*** settle on some reasonable default
vacuum_cost_delay settings before we can ship 8.3. With no cost delay
and two or three workers active, 8.3's autovac does indeed send
performance into the tank.

I've been using 20ms for most of my setups. That's aimed at reducing autovac to almost no impact at all, but taking a long time. Maybe 10ms?

I've found 20ms to be a pretty good number for run-of-the-mill IO capability, and 10ms to be good for a good RAID setup (RAID10, 8+ drives, BBU).

For a default setting, I think it'd be better to lean towards 20ms.
--
Jim Nasby                                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]