andy wrote:
Is there any chance there is an easier way to backup/restore? On one hand, its not too bad, and it'll only be once (correct?). Now that fts is in core future backup/restores will work, right? I think it's analogous to telling someone they are updating from tsearch2 to tsearch3, and it might be a little more painful than just a backup/restore.

On the other hand I think a backup/restore will pollute the new db with a bunch of functions and types that wont ever be used, so it's so much cleaner to build it by hand.

Are there other fts users that might have opinions on that?

I'm not really a tsearch user (just played with it a bit once). But I wondered if you are aware that you can prevent certain objects from being restored quite easiy if you use pg_dump and pg_restore together with "custom format" (-Fc). There is some option to pg_restore that reads the dump, and ouputs a table of contents. You can then remove some entries from that list, and pass the modified list to pg_restore which will skip entries that do not show up on your modified list.

Maybe we could document some regexp, awk script, or similar that strips the tsearch stuff from such a table of contents?

regards, Florian Pflug

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq