[ BCC to docs and hackers.  Sorry this seems like the only logical way
to do this.]

I have added the following introductory paragraph to the release notes:

        This release represents a major leap forward by adding significant new
        functionality and performance enhancements to
        <productname>PostgreSQL</>. Many complex ideas that normally take years
        to implement were added rapidly to this release by our development team.
        This release starts <productname>PostgreSQL</> on a trajectory moving
        beyond feature-parity with other database systems to a time when
        <productname>PostgreSQL</> will be a technology leader in the database
        field. Major new capabilities in this release include:

The full release text with my edits to "major" and "migration" sections
is included:

        http://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release-8-3.html

Comments?

--