Tom Lane wrote:
Alvaro Herrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
... oh, I see there's a table in initdb.c

Are we supposed to add entries to it, one for each country?  I'm
wondering if we should try to match the part before the _ using just the
language, if the complete match fails.  (i.e. match "es_CL" using just
"es", "fr_CA" using just "fr", etc).

Actually, looking at the examples so far, I'm thinking we should just
consider the string up to the first _, period.

An alternative is to try to match the full locale (es_ES) and then try
the language (es) if that wasn't found.  That would leave room to put
country-by-country exceptions in, but for the moment we'd not have any.

Can anyone point to a real world example where country by country would make sense? If we need to distinguish flavors of some languages, I would not be at all surprised if this was not by country anyway.

cheers

andrew

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend