Simon Riggs wrote:
On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 13:41 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
FWIW I disagree with cancelling just any autovac work automatically; in
my patch I'm only cancelling if it's analyze, on the grounds that if
you have really bad luck you can potentially lose a lot of work that
vacuum did.  We can relax this restriction when we have cancellable
vacuum.

That was requested by others, not myself, but I did agree with the
conclusions. The other bad luck might be that you don't complete some
critical piece of work in the available time window because an automated
job kicked in.

Yeah, I thought we had agreed that we must cancel all auto vacuum/analyzes, on the ground that foreground operations are usually more important than maintenance tasks. Remember the complaint we already had on hackers just after beta1: auto *vacuum* blocked a schema change, and of course the user complained.

Best Regards
Michael Paesold