Ricardo,

Is your database compiled for multibyte support?  And what character set
is the database you are connecting to created with?  (to get the
database character set do a 'psql -l').  If the answer to the first
question is no or the answer to the second question is 'SQL_ASCII', then
only 7bit characters are supported.

thanks,
--Barry