Hi Russ-

> The first line in my pg_hba.conf file is:
> local      all                                trust

I don't think this line authorizes TCP/IP socket connections, but rather,
only Unix sockets. Since JDBC uses TCP/IP even if you are on the same
machine, you'll need a similar auth record starting with "host" for (locahost) like the one below, or using trust as the method if you

> host         all           ident sameuser

check out this page for a better explanation: