-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Tom Lane
Sent: October 2, 2001 5:19 PM
To: Barry Lind
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [JDBC] driver fails to handle strings in query statements
properly

Barry Lind <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> My thoughts as well.  If we encounter an 'unknown' type, just return
> it
> as a String.  Do you have time to fix this?

>> I suppose we could return it as a string when we are in doubt? Is
>> this reasonable since there are many other types it should be
>> returned as?

The backend will presently default to treating 'unknown' as type 'text'
if it hasn't got any better idea what to do, so I think it's reasonable
for JDBC to do likewise.

I believe the only case in which you could see 'unknown' reported as a
query result type is if a string literal is SELECTed without any
processing being done on it, viz

        SELECT 'foo'

As soon as the literal is passed to a function or operator, sorted,
grouped, etc, the system will insist on resolving it to a non-unknown
type.  If the usage context doesn't provide any other hint, 'text' will
be the chosen type.

                        regards, tom lane

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster