On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 12:28 +0530, NikhilS wrote:
> Please find attached the WIP version 1 of the auto partitioning patch.
> There was discussion on this a while back on -hackers at:
> Please note that this patch tries to automate the activities that
> currently are carried out manually. It does nothing fancy beyond that
> for now. There were a lot of good suggestions, I have noted them down
> but for now I have tried to stick to the initial goal of automating
> existing steps for providing partitioning.
> Things that this patch does:
I think this patch is a reasonable first step and clearly written, but
not yet ready for application to Postgres in this commit fest.
I would say we need:
* Clear explanation of the new syntax, with examples of each permutation
so we can see how that would work. In light of recent discussions on
-hackers we need to take a view on whether we should go with Gavin's
suggested syntax or this syntax.
* There are some additional syntax items I don't understand the need
for. So these need to be explained.
* I would be against using the term PARTITION BY since it is already a
phrase that is part of the SQL Standard. Perhaps PARTITIONED BY?
* We need regression tests for any new command syntax
* No docs - that might be the same thing as the first item
PostgreSQL UK 2008 Conference: http://www.postgresql.org.uk
Sent via pgsql-patches mailing list (email@example.com)
To make changes to your subscription: