Nick Fankhauser wrote:
Thanks for the correction- it sounds like this is one where usage
can't be precisely controlled in a dynamic user environment & I just
need to get a feel for what works under a load that approximates my
production system.

I think the most important point here is that if you set sort_mem too high, and you have a lot of simultaneous sorts, you can drive the server into swapping, which obviously is a very bad thing. You want it set as high as possible, but not so high given your usage patterns that you wind up swapping.

Joe