Scott Cain wrote:
On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 11:53, Tom Lane wrote:
I find it really, really hard to believe that a crude reimplementation
in plpgsql of the TOAST concept could beat the built-in implementation
at all, let alone beat it by two orders of magnitude.

Either there's something unrealistic about your testing of the
dna_string function, or your original tests are not causing TOAST to be
invoked in the expected way, or there's a bug we need to fix.  I'd
really like to see some profiling of the poor-performing
external-storage case, so we can figure out what's going on.

I was really hoping for a "Good job and glad to hear it" from you :-)

I don't think there is anything unrealistic about my function or its
testing, as it is very much along the lines of the types of things we do
now.  I will really try to do some profiling this week to help figure
out what is going on.

Is there a sample table schema and dataset available (external-storage case) that we can play with?

Joe

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [EMAIL PROTECTED])