On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 18:12, Tom Lane wrote:
> Rob Nagler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Are there plans for explicit hints to the planner?
> Personally, I'm philosophically opposed to planner hints; see previous
> discussions in the archives.

How about (if you don't already do it) ranked (or approximately
ranked) b-tree indexes, where each node also stores the (approximate)
count of tuple pointers under it?

This way, the planner would know whether or how skewed a tree is,
and (approximately) how many tuples a given WHERE predicate resolves

Ron Johnson, Jr. [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Jefferson, LA USA

"Fair is where you take your cows to be judged."