On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 12:29:55AM +0100, Matt Clark wrote:
> My real world experience on a *very* heavily updated OLTP type DB, following
> advice from this list (thanks guys!), is that there is essentially zero cost
> to going ahead and vacuuming as often as you feel like it.  Go crazy, and
> speed up your DB!

That's not quite true.  If vacuums start running into each other, you
can very easily start eating up all your I/O bandwidth.  Even if you
gots lots of it.

Also, a vacuum pretty much destroys your shared buffers, so you have
to be aware of that trade-off too.  Vacuum is not free.  It's _way_
cheaper than it used to be, though.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                              M2P 2A8
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend