Josh Berkus wrote:

Shridhar,

I was looking at the -V/-v and -A/-a settings in pgavd, and really don't understand how the calculation works. According to the readme, if I set -v to 1000 and -V to 2 (the defaults) for a table with 10,000 rows, pgavd would only vacuum after 21,000 rows had been updated. This seems wrong.

Can you clear this up a little? I'd like to tweak these settings but can't without being better aquainted with the calculation.

Also, you may want to reverse your default ratio for Vacuum/analyze frequency. True, analyze is a less expensive operation than Vacuum, but it's also needed less often -- only when the *distribution* of data changes. I've seen databases where the optimal vacuum/analyze frequency was every 10 min/once per day.

Will look into it. Give me a day or so. I am planning couple of other patches as well. May be over week end.

Is this urgent?

Shridhar

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster