This is an intriguing thought which leads me to think about a similar solution for even a production server and that's a solid state drive for just the WAL. What's the max disk space the WAL would ever take up? There's quite a few 512MB/1GB/2GB solid state drives available now in the ~$200-$500 range and if you never hit those limits...

When my current job batch is done, I'll save a copy of the dir and give the WAL on ramdrive a test. And perhaps even buy a Sandisk at the local store and run that through the hooper.

Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

Mount WAL on RAM disk. WAL is most often hit area for heavy updates/inserts. If you spped that up, things should be pretty faster.