Neil,

> > 1) to keep it working, you will probably need to run ANALZYE more
> >    often than you have been;
>
> I'm not sure why this would be the case -- can you elaborate?

For the more granular stats to be useful, they have to be accurate; otherwise
you'll go back to a nestloop as soon as the query planner encounters a value
that it doens't think is in the table at all.

> > 4) Currently, pg_dump does *not* back up statistics settings.
>
> Yes, it does.

Oh, good.   Was this a 7.4 improvement?   I missed that in the changelogs ....

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions