On January 16, 2004 11:53 am, Larry Rosenman wrote:
> --On Monday, January 12, 2004 13:45:45 -0800 Shankar K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > We are considering to use NetApp filer for a highly
> > busy 24*7 postgres database and the reason we chose
> I run a (not very busy) PG cluster on a NetAPP.

I run a very busy PG installation on one.

> It seems to do just fine.

> The issue is the speed of the network connection.  In my case it's only
> FastEthernet (100BaseTX).  If it's very busy, you may need to look
> at GigE.

With the price of GigE adapters I wouldn't consider anything else.

I have a huge database that takes about an hour to copy.  The netApp snapshot
feature is very nice because I can get a "moment in time" image of the
database.  Even though I can't run from the snapshot because it is read only
(*) and PG needs to write to files just to open the database, I can copy it
and get a runnable version of the DB.  If I copy directly from the original I
can get many changes while copying and wind up with a copy that will not run.

(*): It would be nice if PG had a flag that allowed a database to be opened in
read only mode without touching anything in the directory.

D'Arcy J.M. Cain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|vex}.net>   |  Democracy is three wolves

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster