Hi,

We have postgres running on freebsd 4.9 with 2 Gigs of memory. As per
repeated advice on the mailing lists we configured effective_cache_size
= 25520 which you get by doing `sysctl -n vfs.hibufspace` / 8192

Which results in using 200Megs for disk caching.

Is there a reason not to increase the hibufspace beyond the 200 megs and
provide a bigger cache to postgres? I looked both on the postgres and
freebsd mailing lists and couldn't find a good answer to this.

If yes, any suggestions on what would be a good size on a 2 Gig machine?

Regards,

Dror

--
Dror Matalon