Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

Dror Matalon wrote:

I've read Matt Dillon's discussion about the freebsd VM at
http://www.daemonnews.org/200001/freebsd_vm.html and I didn't see him
saying that Freebsd uses all the free RAM for disk cache. Would you care
to provide a URL pointing to that?

Quoting from http://www.daemonnews.org/200001/freebsd_vm.html :

<snip>*
When To Free a Page*

Since the VM system uses all available memory for disk caching, there are usually very few truly-free pages...
</snip>

Got to say - a very interesting discussion you have all being having, I am now quite confused about what those vfs.*buf* variables actually do...

Please feed back any clarfications from the FreeBSD experts to this list!

regards

Mark